Showing all 12 results
Artist accepts commissions.
My work combines pop culture with whimsical humor. I was inspired by the art of pin up artists, the surrealists, pop artists, animators, comic book artists, and the opportunity to be part of a growing movement of digital artists. While there may occasionally be some messages, or "serious" elements in my art, most of what I do is meant to be taken as fun and enjoyable.
I produce most my work in a digital format, using Adobe Illustrator (however, I do work with conventional techniques as well). Ideas stem from our everyday lives. Several pieces are themed around holidays, while others are current events, and others look back to old science fiction and horror movies, and other nuggets of retro pop culture goodness. Sometimes my art will have very obscure references, so they make great conversation pieces!
My work is not meant to challenge the viewer with a deep message (at least not terribly often), but instead to capture the viewers attention with bold color, sharp edges, interesting characters, idiosyncratic humor, and offbeat energy.
I'm an illustrator and art director from Novi, Michigan, and have been a freelancer since 1988.
I've been featured in eight solo gallery exhibitions and over 100 group art shows around Detroit, Flint, Pittsburgh, and Lansing.
As a graphic artist and studio owner, I handle illustration, design, print production, photo retouching, art direction, project management, motion graphics and animation, audio and video post production, presentation, training and troubleshooting.
2019 - “Red Hots”, Studio 8700, Oak Park, MI
2019 - “The Return of Redheads and Monsters”, The Phoenix 510, Hazel Park, MI
2018 - “À La Mode”, Studio 8700, Oak Park, MI
2017 - “The Female of The Species”, The Phoenix Cafe, Hazel Park, MI
2017 - “That Girl!” Studio 8700, Oak Park, MI
2015 - “Redheads and Monsters”, The Phoenix Cafe, Hazel Park, MI
2014 - “Phase 3 - The Sky’s Gone Out”, The Atomic Cafe, Hamtramck, MI
2014 - “The Red Room” - Main Art Theater, Royal Oak, MI
My artwork has also appeared in over 125 group art shows in the last 6 years.
Curator of annual art shows: Fallen Stars, See What Stacey Started, and Godzilla art shows.
Collection currently on display at the Paint Creek Center for The Arts in Rochester.
- Associate Degree, Graphic and Commercial Art - Illustration, May 1990
- Associate Degree, Liberal Arts, May 1990
- Certificate of Philosophy, May 1990
- Certificate of Journalism, May 1990
All from Macomb Community College, Warren, Michigan
- “Red Hot Sally” - December 2019
Coloring book released to coincide with my solo art show, “Red Hots”. Currently on second printing.
- “À La Mode - The Art of Steve Czapiewski” - June 2018
My first art book was released to coincide with my solo art show, “À La Mode”. ISBN: 978-0-692-07873-0
- Awarded Honorable Mention for my piece, "Intelligent Life", by the annual Our Town art event in Birmingham, MI in 2018.
- Multiple illustrations published in three third party books on Adobe Illustrator from 1997-1998. Some illustrations are still used for instruction to this day.
The following are awards to my graphic arts studio:
- Hillside Furniture voted Best Furniture Store by Hour Detroit readers in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016. I was the creative director and responsible for all advertising and promotions.
- Wolfman Mac’s Chiller Drive-In awarded Best Local Television Show by The Metro Times in their annual Best of Detroit issue. I was lead editor and creative director on the program. October 2009.
- Awarded first place in the 2008 Scovie Awards Competition for best Company or Product Logo. Client: Pit Bull Hot Sauce. August 2008.
OOMM Studios, Novi, MI - Owner
I have worked with hundreds of clients over the last 32 years. (10/88 to present)
Hillside Contemporary Furniture, (a division of Art Van as of March 2016)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan - Creative Director (8/01 to 9/17)
Ross Roy Communications, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan- Project/Shift Leader - Desktop Publishing Department. (4/90 to 9/95)
Additional Professional Experience:
- Scribblz Painting Parties - Art instruction and management (2015-present)
- Phoenix Art Collective - Art instruction and art show curating (2014-present)
- Killer B Productions - Producer of local movie events (2009-2015)
- Wolfman Mac’s Chiller Drive-In - Lead editor, visual effects, webmaster, graphic artist, producer and actor (2008-2011)
- SectorLink Web Services - ISP tech support and server maintenance (2001)
digital art, vector art, pinup art, modern art, graphic art, humor, holidays