Showing 1–20 of 21 results
I am inspired by a quote by Artist Perle Fine (1905-1988)- “I like to light up a canvas with colour; I like to make it shout or whisper; I like to make it spin...or make forms melt softly over the whole picture”.
I love using line and color as my primary tool of expression. Intense color is one attribute that all of my artwork has in common. I paint using either oil or acrylic, depending on the picture I am painting. My work shows movement and energy.
I use color to establish a balance that provides transformation and interface with the energy in my art. My pieces are created in many layers. I work so that something from each layer shows through to increase the sense of multiple dimensions and depth. A vision or feeling may serve as my inspiration.
Whether the finished piece is a highly realistic portrayal or abstract, I strive to infuse my art with a sense of obscurity and splendor. I have been painting for 25 years and have enjoyed my journey.
Bern Merlo is a teacher by formal education and an Artist by passion. She has had experience painting in both Plein Air with oil and acrylics on paper or canvas.
Collectors of Bern’s art are returning customers; many have multiple pictures in their collections. Purchased works are in private collections in California, Tennessee. Locally, her work has been purchased by collectors in Lansing, West Bloomfield, and Detroit, to name a few.
The work of Bern Merlo uses artist-quality paint. Being an abstract artist is a trip that is traveled every day. A song, a thought, conversation or picture can be the impetus for the journey through abstraction.
• Two James Brewery, Detroit, MI
• Madonna University, Livonia, MI
• University of Michigan-Dearborn, MI
• The Scarab Club-Gold Medal Exhibition
• Starring Gallery, Northville, MI
• Huron Valley Council for the Arts, Highland, MI
• Detroit Biennale, MONA, Armada, MI
• Chelsea River Gallery/Rackham Graduate School, Ann Arbor, MI (2)
• Affirmations: Pittman-Puckett Gallery, Ferndale, MI (2)
• Wyandotte Council for the Arts, Wyandotte, MI
• The Loft, Mt. Clemons, MI
• The Anton Gallery, Mt. Clemons, MI
• The Gallery of Royal Oak, Royal Oak, MI
• Art Prize, Grand Rapids, MI
• Royal Oak Library, Royal Oak, MI
• Huron Valley Art Association January 2017
• Saugatuck Artist Collective, Saugatuck, MI
• Aubergine Gallery, Milford, MI
• Weber's, Livonia, MI
My education training in art has been the result of attending workshops from the following artists:
• Nancy Prophet, Detroit, MI
• Robert Maniscalco (Maniscalco Gallery of Fine Art)
• George Brown (Lion House Studio)
• Lois Griffel (Director of the Cape Cod School of Art)
• Ried Galey, Minneapolis, MN
• Susan Sarback (The School of Light and Color)
• Dawn Stafford (Oxbow Summer Institute)
• Leslie Masters, Bloomfield Hills, MI
• Michael Chesley Johnson (Canadian Maritimes)
• Jane Robinson, Abstract fine art painter
• Robert Burridge, Abstract fine art painter
• Sterling Edwards, Abstract fine art painter
• Joe DiGiulio, Abstract fine art painter
• Leslie Saeta, Abstract fine art painter
• Nancy Hillis, Abstract fine art painter
• Steven Amone, Abstract fine art painter
• Joan Fullerton, Abstract fine art painter
• Jane Davies, Abstract fine art painter
• Sally Cooper, Abstract fine art painter
• Lisa Bordwine, Cold Wax Artist
• Pam Caughey, Cold Wax, Abstract artist
• Livonia Arts Commission- Juror’s Choice Award October 2017
• Scarab Club- 104th Annual Gold Medal Exhibition- November 2017
• Scarab Club- 105th Annual Gold Medal Exhibition- November 2018
Elementary Education Teacher, Retired, Redford, MI
Abstract Artist, Fine Art Painter, Bold Colors, Large Paintings, Energized Art, Texture, Expression